Wednesday 17 October 2012

Yesterday and today

Yesterday we had a dem on fish but I was not feeling well at all so I was finding it hard to concentrate! First phill showed us how to fillet a lemon sole! Quite cool but I have seen it done many times before! Then he grilled then in a buerre noisette, as I said I wasn't feeling well so tried nothing! Then he went on to lots of different types of fish and how to prep them, for example herring, seabass, and haddock which he used to make a fish pie! In the afternoon we piped our shepherds pie filling with mash, we first got to practice rope piping with smash potato! This I felt went well as did the actual mashing method through a sieve but I think that milk in mash potato is wrong, but that was what the recipe called for and that's what it got! Then we made a white sauce for the first time! We started by making a roux of flour and butter and cooking this together for 1 minute! Then we gradually added milk off of the heat, once it was all in we boiled it for 2 minutes so that the flour thickened sufficiently. Then we added cheese to the sauce off the heat and mixed it in well! We then stirred the cooked macaroni through this sauce, but into a dish and sprinkled the gratiner of cheese and breadcrumbs on top, we then crisped it under the grill! By this time the shepherds pie was done and we served it! Because I was Ill ansobe wouldn't taste it but said I looked good with consistency and everything!
Today we had a dem in the morning on chicken! It was quite fun to see! Michael jointed a chicken in front of us. A chicken should always be jointed into 8 pieces, he then rendered the fat off of this chicken to make sauté normandie! We got to see flambé for the first time which was really boring actually, because at Leiths they do it with a ladle and very safely! Michael also did a French roast chicken, which to begin with you roast upside down! We got to see him poach a whole chicken as well in a sort of stock with a bouquet garni, leeks and carrots, onion, which was piqued with cloves, this was to make a Poule au pot. Michael made a schezuan salad with some chicken and a peanut butter sauce, which was nice and simple! He also had a sort of stuffed chicken with sundries tomatoes, cheese, Parma ham and some other good things, he then put it in the oven to cook! All in all good dem! Everything was really nice I thought!
This afternoon we made a fish pie! This involved making another white sauce, poaching a fish in some milk, making parsley dust, boiling an egg and making mashed potatoes! So it was all a bit frantic to begin with! I am actually quite disappointed because today I wrote my time plan in probably the least detail ever, because I was very short on time, and today was the day we were marked on them! Anyway in the end everything worked out fine and ansobe said that the dish was well seasoned, so I am happy with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment