Saturday 6 October 2012

Leiths day 5

Okay so yesterday at Leiths we had a dem in the morning on pastry! I have to say I am not great at pastry, so it was good for me to be reinstructed on how to do it. Ansobe, who was taking the dem, showed us lots of really good techniques, like how it should always be cold, rubbing in, ridging and how you should always roll away from you! She then made a quiche Lorraine, which was great, but at Leiths they like quiches to be pale so you show that you are in control when cooking it! Then we had a salmon and dill tart which was also fantastic. We also had a plum pie and a treacle tart, but for me the plum pie was too tart and the treacle tart was too sweet!
In the afternoon we made a sweet potato, chilli and lime soup, and scrambled eggs on toast. With the soup we had to sweat our onions, practicing our cartouche, then adding the chilli for a minute, then adding the rest of the ingredients and allowing to boil for a while! I then made my scrambled eggs on toast. I seasoned my eggs, put the toast on and buttered it. Then I put some butter in a pan followed by the egg mixture, and cooked until it was baveuse, which was tricky because the wind was blowing in there, so it was hard to keep an even heat! When served Michael said it had room to be a little more cooked, but the seasoning and texture was good! Then I took my soup off and liquidised it until all of the lumps were gone, I then sieved it and reheated and seasoned to taste! I then had to get it down between a single and double cream consistency! When I served it Michael said I had balanced the flavours well, as it was mainly a seasoning exercise, but that it could be a little thinner! All in all I think it was a good day, and have some valuable criticisms to work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment